Assistant Keeper William Evans, his wife Catherine and their children lived at the Cape for more than 22 years. During their time at Cape Otway the Evans lost two children in the space of 18 months from 1867-1868.
Both the children are buried in the Cape Otway cemetery and are the oldest surviving graves. Coping with the isolation the ceaseless routine of attending to the light was at times overwhelming and required enormous dedication and a true love of the area. While many lightkeepers returned to Melbourne for their one-week annual holiday, the Evans family chose to camp at the Aire River, no more than 15km from the Cape.
Stores and mail were supplied to the Lightstation by sea every six to 12 months. From 1877 all stores came ashore at Blanket Bay and were stored in a shed. Only with the establishment of the railway over the Otway Ranges to Lavers Hill did supplies by land become practicable.