Head Lightkeeper's House (est. 1857)
Whole House for up to 16*guests
Great fun for parties of up to 16*- the Head Lightkeeper's House is a homely heritage property in a stunning location.
Views of the lighthouse and ocean are unsurpassed from this spacious, stately house, crafted from stone quarried by hand from the nearby Parker River.
Built in 1857, the Head Lightkeeper's House gives guests an insight into the domestic life of the Lightstation's first keepers.
The well-equipped kitchen is ideal for those who want to self-cater. Alternatively, we can prepare a private dinner party, for a minimum of six guests.
There is an open fire in the dining room, which is separate to the spacious kitchen, which also includes a dining table.
The lounge room, complete with a wood stove, is a great place to relax.
The wide verandahs provide cool shade in the summer, where you can while away the afternoon, admiring the view.
Breakfast, morning tea, lunch and afternoon tea are served daily in the Lightkeeper's Café.
- Views of the Lighthouse & Southern Ocean
- Wood fires
- Electric heaters in all bedrooms
- Fully equipped kitchen
- Suitable for large groups
- Full access to Lightstation precinct at night
*Although the Head Lightkeeper's House can accommodate up to 16 guests, we recommend that it is suitable for a maximum of 10 adults plus children.
The Head Lightkeeper's House can be divided in two by a lockable door - the Main Section is for parties of up to 8 guests and the smaller section becomes the Head Lightkeeper's B&B (for up to 6 people).
Parties of up to 8 people or less will normally have use of the Main Section only.
All towels, linen and bedding are supplied.
King beds can be split into 2 singles, or extra single beds can be provided if required. Let us know what sleeping arrangements you require and we'll have it all ready for you when you arrive.
As there is no TV reception at Cape Otway, we supply a selection of DVDs, together with jigsaw puzzles, games & books.
Firewood is supplied.
There is parking adjacent to the accommodation.
There are always friendly staff on hand to make your stay more enjoyable and at night there's a caretaker on duty.
The Café is open for breakfast (from 9am), morning tea, lunch and afternoon. Dinner is also available on request (for a minimum of 6 people). If you wish to self-cater then stock up with food and drink on the way here but you can always get more supplies at Apollo Bay.
Read more on our Main Accommodation page.
Room details for the Head Lightkeeper's House (Whole House) :
- Bedroom One: 1 king or 2 singles, couch, kitchenette (2 person room).
- Bedroom Two: 1 king or 2 singles, plus 1 adult bunk (4 person room).
- Bedroom Three: 1 king or 2 singles, plus 2 adult bunks (6 person room).
- Bedroom Four: 1 king or 2 singles, plus 1 adult bunk (4 person room).
- Kitchen: 5 burner gas stove, full size fridge, kitchen table with 6 chairs, microwave, kettle, toaster, all cooking utensils.
- Dining room: Open fire. Wooden table with 10 chairs.
- Lounge: Wood heater. 3 couches. TV/DVD and a selection of DVDs to watch (no TV reception) & CD player.
- Bathroom One: bath, shower, toilet, basin.
- Bathroom Two: shower, toilet, basin.
|Number of guests||1 night
|2 nights||3 nights||4 nights
(Fri/Sat $100 extra)
(2 or 3 nights)
& New Year weekly rate
* Parties of up to 8 people or less will normally have use of the Main Section only
** Weekends are part of a 3 day package (except public holidays)
*** 3 day long weekends: Australia Day, Labor Day, ANZAC Day & Queen's Birthday
**** 4 day long weekends: Easter & Melbourne Cup