The first motor vehicle was not seen at Cape Otway until 1932.
For well into the 20th century, horses were the main means of transport for those working at the Lightstation, their families and visitors.
In the 19th century, the horses used by the Keepers were Government property, under the control of the Head Keeper.
Henry Bayles Ford; Head Keeper 1848-1878, complained several times to the Government in Melbourne that assistant Keepers were taking the horses without authorisation; so that they could visit Apollo Bay during the day, returning in the early evening. At one stage it was happening so frequently that Bayles Ford wrote to Melbourne that it was no use in continuing to complain.